Friday, February 1, 2013

1/25/13 - A Continuation of SPACE

We continued our lesson on space today. We talked about body shapings (straight, bent, curved and twisted shapes). I showed them some pictures to help them get the idea of what these different shaped looked like. For a straight shape, I showed a stick bug, A bent shape I showed a geometrical piece of art, Curved I showed a beach ball, and twisted I showed a screw. I think that was helpful to have them understand the idea. But what was most helpful was when I taught them an actual sequence that used these body shapings. I found that they responded really well to learning a sequence that I taught them. They really enjoyed it and had fun learning an actual dance that I taught them. I think I'll continue teaching them new sequences, but also keeping that in balance with create activities. After I taught them the sequence, I had them get with a partner and they made a symmetrical, Asymmetrical, and Positive and Negative Shape with them. They had one set of 8 counts to get from one shape design to the next. This was their creative activity. I've hardly used activities where they've had to create some kind of movement and structure it into a dance. All the activities have mostly been improvisational. And you know what, they really REALLY liked it! It was so fun to see how proud they were to display their shapes that they made. I had them perform their whole dance for the class and they performed them loud and proud. Why have I been holding out on having them create dances?! I know it was always my intent to do this, but I think because my lessons went too long or I was trying to get a feel for how willing and abled these kids were with dance, I didn't really implement this as much. But they loved creating a finished project!!! It was fun to see how much they took to it. This is the joys of creativity!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment