Monday, April 29, 2013

(3/1/13) - Evaluation Day and HELIOS!!

Today I was evaluated by my faculty mentor (Kathleen Sheffield) and arts bridge mentor (Douglas ?...sorry Douglas, I forgot your last name). I was pretty nervous actually! But it turned out to be my best teaching experience. They both said I was very confident and energetic. They could tell this rubbed off on the students. Kathleen also told me that I had handled a lot of the classroom management problems very well (ex: some kids making sarcastic comments and the talking going on). She pointed out how I didn't just let them get away with it, but I handled it enough to stop it from happening. That I was happy about since, the management issues were really what I was probably most nervous for at the beginning of my arts bridge experience. I warmed them up today with a new warm up. I'll probably just keep this one as a routine until the end of my time with them. The way I warmed them up was I put chairs in all the corners of the room. Each chair had a piece of paper on it with a locomotor step on it. They would do that locomotor step until they reached the next chair, where they would switch to the next locomotor step. I used leaping, rolling, sliding, and spinning. It got a little backed up at the rolling portion, so I think for next time I will switch out the rolling for another locomotor step like skipping or something like that. The bulk of my time with them, we reviewed what we learned last time. Then I read from the story with them about when Helios gave his son Phaoton advice when driving his chariot. The advice was to stay on the middle pathway and not to go too high or too low or else the sky or the earth would catch on fire. So I taught them an across the floor sequence that kept them in the the middle pathway. They couldn't divert from the pathyway and they couldn't go too high or too low. After we ran through it a couple of times in rows, our time was up. This definitely was my best teaching time! I'm really happy that Kathleen and Douglas chose to come today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment